www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant PMC Issue (was: RE: [proposal] daedalus jar repository)
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:48:01 GMT
James Strachan wrote:
> From: "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com>
>
>>Well, I didn't ask about Gump, Centipede or Ruper.  I asked about Ant and
>>Maven.  Start there.  And as far as I'm concerned, if Build Project X
>
> sucks
>
>>(a logical antecedent for the sake of discussion), then an Ant/Maven PMC
>>could resolve that by correction/replacement as part of their on-going
>>development.
>

> I thought the whole reason that Ant, Avalon, Cocoon, James et al moved top
> level (out of Jakarta) was to get rid of top level umbrella PMCs so that
> each project has its own PMC.
> This is all Maven is trying to do. Any kinds of integration/merging is an
> internal decision for the Ant and Maven communities isn't it? I see
> Ant/Maven integration as a totally separate issue from who makes up the PMC
> to look after the Maven project. I don't see why why we'd need another top
> level PMC looking after both Ant and Maven as they are separate projects
> afterall.

I agree with this vision.

My suggestion to the board would be to identify the health and diversity
of the community behind Maven, not its technical realms or potential
overlap since this will be dealt with by darwinistic means if the dev
community is healthy.

I repeat: *if* the community is healthy.