www-community mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <erikab...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [off-topic-just for fun] - Maps and zoom-in
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:08:23 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>
>>Now I've noticed quite a few folks falling off the shore, and into a
>>nearby rivers and canals. Which unless you are living on a boad - is
>>propably not quite correct. So I'd love to know if that is projection
>>issue; or a true issue with the location you entered.
>
> I see people talking about co-ordinate precision of
> less than 100 metres. So how are they determining
> their position? Do they each have a differential GPS
> in their pocket? If someone has some clever facility
> to determine an accurate position, then please tell us.

I got my position via http://www.whereonearth.com/demos/geocode/. Just type in your (European)
address and voila there you are: the returned coords were pretty precise and only shifted
my actual position about 25 meters northwards into my neighbours garage (see map).

As some others mentioned before, GeoURL has some helpful resources at http://www.geourl.org/resources.html

cheers,
Erik