www-community mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: [off-topic-just for fun] - Maps and zoom-in
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:05:52 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>
>>Now I've noticed quite a few folks falling off the shore, and into a
>>nearby rivers and canals. Which unless you are living on a boad - is
>>propably not quite correct. So I'd love to know if that is projection
>>issue; or a true issue with the location you entered.
>

> I see people talking about co-ordinate precision of
> less than 100 metres. So how are they determining
> their position? Do they each have a differential GPS
> in their pocket? If someone has some clever facility
> to determine an accurate position, then please tell us.

Differential GPS is no longer needed, they have withdrawn the
intentional unaccuracy in 2000, I think (except that the DOD will inject
errors in the system when they need it, maybe in the next few weeks).

My GPS (a modern cheap Garmin eTrex), averaged during a whole night up
in my house drifted no more than 5m around. This is consistent with the
positioning in the map, now that I have entered six figures in my data.

The Northern Hemisphere could have more satellites round, thus better
coverage, because there is more people (I got amazed with the population
density map) and more economic activity. But I'm not sure there is a
difference in precision between Spain and Australia.

WRT Mozilla, I'm seeing it with Mozilla 1.1, no problem (except that
when you click it takes a while for the layers to stabilize, with a not
so nice visual effect).