www-community mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: licensing issues and jars in Avalon
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:32:45 GMT

Roy T. Fielding wrote, On 11/02/2003 3.44:
>> So if all of this is accepted, why does it matter that Checkstyle is
>> licensed
>> under LGPL? It is not being "viral".
>

> It doesn't matter.  However, it also doesn't need to be distributed from
> the ASF servers.  There is no reason that developers couldn't use it --
> we use dozens of such tools for httpd development.

Please excuse me if I ask it once more, just to be clear.

In this case, that is using LGPL such as checkstyle for the build, is it
possible that the build system downloads it automatically for the
developer? And /GPL/ buildtools, is it different? Would it have to ask
permission of the developer to download given that it's GPL (ie making
it clear)?

I'm asking it again because we are talking about buildtools here, not
jars used in the compilation, runtime, or linked in any way.

Thanks.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -