www-community mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: build systems vs. license issues [Re: Hashing it out ...]
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 17:12:23 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> I believe the FSF has an ulterior motive for keeping the Java situation
> quite murky.  -- justin

I'd like to caution you against attributing motives to other's actions
or inactions.  I'm not making this suggestion with any official Apache
hat on, but based on my experience that such statements rarely lead to
productive consequences.

As for me, I would like to observe that we have the public statements
made by the FSF, including the text of the GPL license.  We have the
knowledge that this issue has been around for a long time and has never
been resolved.  And we know that that people like Brian have invested a
fair amount of time on this topic.

What I conclude from this is that it would be both difficult and
unlikely for a successful resolution of this issue.  Despite the fact
that quite a number of us (myself included) would love to see this resolved.

- Sam Ruby