www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where to place Agora?
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 11:28:58 GMT
Ben Hyde wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 11:40 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Ben Hyde wrote:
>>
>>> So one possible awnser to the question is: check it into committers
>>> someplace and see if you can get a community to begin to emerge.  The
>>> privacy issues can be used as cover for not going more public at this
>>> stage :-).
>>

>> what about using the /community CVS module instead and move Krell into
>> that as well?
>

> I prefer never to create any files in the root directory.

Sorry but I can't parse this: root directory of what?

> In any-case we already have the committers repos, and if we decide to
> create another one then we really ought to have a discussion about which
> PMC is responsible for cleaning up any farts it leaves in the air.  If
> we stay in the privacy of the committers repository we can avoid all
> that and get back to the fun of emerging somethings.
>
> There isn't a community module is there?  - That's a sentence that I
> certainly enjoyed writing.

No, there is none. But this doesn't mean there couldn't exist one.

>> --
>> Stefano Mazzocchi                               <stefano@apache.org>
>>    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate [William of Ockham]
>

> "I think unity is a mistake.... If I were the Establishment and had the
> big loaded guns of the various oppressive institutions.... I would much
> prefer to see one lion come through the door than 500 mice." - Florynce
> R. Kennedy

'sine necessitate' means 'without necessity'.

"Unity is a mistake" or "Plurality is a mistake" are both too limiting.
But I do agree with the occam razor:

> and in a wonderful example of google performing in the role of smart ass:
>  "Did you mean: Pluralitas non est ponenda sine _necessitate_"  :-)

Fuck, how could I miss that! damn :(

> They must be too proud that they can do spelling correction on latin, ekk.

well, it's basic statistical properties. google doesn't have any idea of
what that data really is, it could be klingon for what they know. and if
all the web starts making a mistake, that mistake becomes reality don't
it? and they call it neologism.

> They scare me.

no, it's data emergence that's underestimated :) [and metadata
overestimated]