www-community mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: licensing issues and jars in Avalon
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 01:06:56 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
>

>> recent board decree (saw it first on the infrastructure list)
>> (paraphrasing): the ASF must not distribute software packages (in any
>> form) licensed under LGPL, GPL or Sun Binary Code License in any way.
>

> Sun's Binary Code license permits bundling as part of your Programs. The
> short form of this: you can include such things in tars and zips for
> your release, but for individually download.  In other words, users need
> not feel the pain, but developers do.

First, I understand it as *not* for individually download, just bundled
in a single archive.

Second, in jetspeed, David removed activation.jar some time ago (I think
because of those issues). But I have reviewed our repo just now, and we
still have mail.jar, which, I think, we should remove also. (Sun Binary
Code License).

If you confirm, I will take care that it is removed from the repository
(being careful to make sure we don't break build procedures, updating
docs, etc.)

Regards,
      Santiago