www-community mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: licensing issues and jars in Avalon
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 23:22:56 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Leo Simons wrote:
>

>> recent board decree (saw it first on the infrastructure list)
>> (paraphrasing): the ASF must not distribute software packages (in any
>> form) licensed under LGPL, GPL or Sun Binary Code License in any way.
>

> Sun's Binary Code license permits bundling as part of your Programs.
> The short form of this: you can include such things in tars and zips
> for your release, but for individually download.  In other words,
> users need not feel the pain, but developers do.

So, in other words, it is okay if I as a developer download a
BCL-licensed package, compile an ASF module against it, then build a
distribution consisting of the compiled code and the BCL-licensed
package? For example, is a JAMES distribution allowed to be compiled
against the BCL-licensed package (after the developer making the
distribution has agreed to the license) and ship with the BCL-licensed
package?

Is it also okay if my distribution instead contains the source code and
the BCL-licensed package, and a build script for compiling the ASF
module against the BCL-licensed package? Or is that not okay, but can I
distribute the source code with my binary distribution? What about
providing everything but the build script?

I'm sorry, it's not too clear to me just yet.

> Personally, if there are open source alternatives, my recommendation
> is that they should be supported instead.

+1.

cheers,

- Leo