www-community mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: licensing review
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 19:15:02 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
>>Please also take a look at this: http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/.
>>The authors intend and believe that the exception granted allows that code
>>so licensed "can be used to run free as well as proprietary applications and
>>applets."  I have spoken with Nic Ferrier about this license exception.
>>They specifically intend for it to remove any viral implications related to
>>their binary distribution, and redistribution, and they believe that it does
>>so.
>>
>>In the specific case, this is related to the service provider example, so I
>>am only concerned about the permissible use of their binary jars.
>

> +1 - if Classpath license is found to be compatible, this will solve a lot
> of problems, as they provide alternative implementation for JNDI and
> many other APIs.
>
> I think this particular one deserves special attention !

Certainly we need an official reading on this, but Classpath is
specifically licensed as GPL, the least compatible open-source license
out there (not even a murkier LGPL).  The Classpath author adds an
addendum to allow bundling of this library into an executable, but that
still won't allow us to distribute jars in CVS or downloadable with
source builds (never mind Java doesn't have executables).  ibiblio would
still be in violation of the license, as would CVSWeb, CVS, and anything
that allowed these Jars to be downloaded independently.

I don't get these GPL people who license their work as GPL, but don't
want the viral aspect...  The fact that they don't understand the
implications of their licensing decision doesn't make us any less liable
to use it.  If a commercial EULA had a clause that the company then
stated they didn't intend, if they don't reissue the code with a
different license, the original license is still enforceable.

--
Serge Knystautas
President