www-community mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: primary distribution location
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 00:39:40 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Conor,
>
> I expect that people are worried about the viral implications of LGPL,
> although I am not sure how that applies with a jar.  One of the long
> standing issues with the FSF licenses is how to apply them in a Java
> environment.

Totally agree. I'm OK if the answer is "No, you can't have code that links
to LGPL in ASF CVS". As I said on the Ant list, LGPL is written using
C-think (headers, object code, etc). It is not clear how to interpret this
in a Java context, especially when the LGPL itself is fuzzy about some
things. For example, when talking about whether code which links to LGPL
becomes a derivative work it says
"The threshold for this to be true is not precisely defined by law."

> We're trying to get alternate licensing from any LGPL code.  So far we
> haven't had too much of a problem getting such licenses, but we'll see.

If you look at this message,
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=104393719401495&w=2

from the thread I mentioned, you'll see that this is not always forthcoming.
I certainly respect their right to stick to the licence of their choice.

Conor