www-community mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Verifying links
Date Sun, 02 Feb 2003 20:35:02 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Erik,
>
> You are most welcome.  And thank you for searching that list. :-)
>
> Although each PMC is ultimately responsible for their content, it does seem
> to me that it is a lot of redundant effort (and likely not commonly done) to
> scan for broken links.

You're absuletely right, it would minimize a lot of redundant work and ensure that it is really
done.
However, since I rarely came across broken links on the ASF pages I just saw no need for it
up to now, but I would be very fine with such a system :)

> We have a link checker built into one of our products, but I'm sure that
> there are other open source tools for that purpose that could be batched,
> e.g.,
>
>  http://www.linklint.org/
>  http://validator.w3.org/docs/checklink.html

I only used linklint so far; it's easy to setup and provides detailed reports. Wich 'of our
products' do you mean? Sorry, don't know every project of the Jakarta world :-(

> Something like one of those could be batched from time to time, and the
> report mailed to the appropriate list.

As said above, would be handy to have such a tool; just go for it ;-)

cheers,
Erik