www-community mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: How get on the map!
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 18:02:20 GMT
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Santiago Gala wrote:
>

>>http://cvs.apache.org/~sgala/map1.html
>

> Very nice. Is there any way we could combine this with WMS - so we can
> offer zoom/panning with ease.

I'm not a GIS expert at all, and I'm not sure if I understand. I'm
currently downloading the jar you pointed us to, to know more.

xplanet can be "sliced" to show only parts of the world. So we could
have a "fixed" imagemap with zones, also generated at a bigger scale, or
use the xplanet images as background for the WMS map.

Ben started rather "static" WRT display. I'm just adding tooltips and
links to the URLs given.

The map1 variant would need to be recalculated to show "true" nigh and
day, something like once an hour, at least. It also uses "available.gif"
from the apache distribution icons reduced to half size. It could be
turned to "unavailable.gif" following criteria like jabber presence,
etc. This would call for a fully dynamic app (rebuilding when a
committer signs on or off), or at least something that rebuilds every
few minutes.

If we want to keep it mostly static, I would say that having a regional
division where Things would get progressively bigger could be a
solution. The upper layer could be like map.jpg or map1.jpg is now. For
inner layers, either the zoom of xplanet or the GIS system could be used:

Click on Europe (very crowded), then you get only Europe. Ditto for the
States, Oceania, etc.