www-community mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: How get on the map!
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 15:10:15 GMT
Ben Hyde wrote:

> Santiago Gala wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking that the best way to show the names, ...
>

> Apparently the radius label doesn't work in marker files for my version
> of xplanet.  I'm sure I saw examples of labels floating in space over
> the markers on the globe.

I think a html USEMAP , with the URLs as targets and a TITLE="unsername"
should work nicely. I'm refreshing my perl to get this generated. (Andy
would have used ACME::Inline::PERL, instead.)

> Meanwhile I'm musing about some kind of policy statements that would
> allow people to clarify their permissiong of such privacy invading
> activities...

That would be neat. For the map to be a where we are?, the URL should be
a reasonable home page, and a FullName field (like in /etc/passwd) could
be added to be used as TITLE (althoug user@apache.org is already public
info). Alternatively, a second URL with the "true" home page would be
needed.

A shell field could be added (if /bin/false, no name, no link ;-) ).

While I agree that a "statement of use" should be done, I think most
people publishing their coordinates in a html file won't object to
having the name and a link in the map. Let's see.

I'll keep trying to "perl" the map. (So long since I last used perl for
something more serious than fixing a small bug!).