www-community mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: build systems vs. license issues [Re: Hashing it out ...]
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:57:13 GMT
--On Friday, February 7, 2003 3:31 PM +0100 Torsten Curdt
<tcurdt@dff.st> wrote:

> Is it really like that? I mean: how does it work for the PHP guys
> with all the modules and libraries then?

PHP uses C, so the LGPL rules are clear.

It sorta sucks, but we *can* link against LGPL/GPL code in httpd.  I
believe we don't allow binaries to be distributed that link against
such libraries though.  The case I explicitly remember having a
conversation at dev@apr was over the use of Electric Fence which is
GPL.  Someone (Greg?) finally said it was okay.

I believe the FSF has an ulterior motive for keeping the Java
situation quite murky.  -- justin