www-community mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject RE: Ant PMC Issue (was: RE: [proposal] daedalus jar repository)
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:43:41 GMT

On 26 Feb 2003, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> If we compete head-on with Ant why is that a concern?

No and yes - in that order. Short term, propably not; long term - seems a
waste of resources; espcially if you are not competing exactly head to
head but slightly diverse into different areas. Which then do not connect
as well as they could. But then again - short term it is propably good to
see some competition to figure out what works in a quicker paced social
environment. But longer term - a lot of energy may go to waste.

> We don't want to grouped under the same PMC as Ant. How's that?

Now that was never the suggestion - interesting notion :-)

But you folks all do want to be grouped under one Apache banner - now what
does that then mean ?

Ultimately where does one see the -whole- of the ASF to slowly go towards;
or if that is too large a question - most of the java code.

Is there any synergy - or is the most we can hope for a 'sourceforge'
which a little more license sanity and peer controlled commit ?

I think synergy is worth aiming for; reinventing the wheel (and mainting
it) in several places is propably not worth it in the long run.

Dw.