www-community mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: [off-topic-just for fun] - Maps and zoom-in
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:09:39 GMT

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Santiago Gala wrote:

> My GPS (a modern cheap Garmin eTrex), averaged during a whole night up
> in my house drifted no more than 5m around. This is consistent with the
> positioning in the map, now that I have entered six figures in my data.

Another thing to check on your GPS is the filters; most GPS-es have a
special mode for stationary position taking. Sometimes called 'Timer
mode'. On some GPS-es it is called 'neutral/boat/car/aviation' mode -
where the 'boat' mode makes constant height assumptions which may give you
a better fix.

Dw