www-community mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: [off-topic-just for fun] - Maps and zoom-in
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:01:26 GMT

On 26 Feb 2003, David Crossley wrote:

> > 	http://cvs.apache.org/~dirkx/sgala.html

> I gather that you must be using some browser-specific
> facilities here. I use Mozilla and the map is a mess
> after the first zoom.

Darn - I was quite happy as I got it to work after endless fiddling on IE,
Mozzila and Safari on MacOSX and a PC. So I guess it needs more fine
tuning. Which is well out of my expertize range. Any takers ?
http://cvs.apache.org/~dirkx/inline.js is the culprit.

> but i was hoping that this simple stuff could be done
> with a basic browser.

Actually what you see there is not that simple; it is a miniature GIS with
6-7 layers which are independently fetched and merged from different WMS
servers across the itnernet. A perl based version (serverside) would be:

	http://demo.asemantics.com/zoom.pl

but that kind of spoils the fun; as it relies on a cetral infrastructure.

Dw