www-community mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: build systems vs. license issues [Re: Hashing it out ...]
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 16:03:10 GMT

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Santiago Gala wrote:

> OTOH, one of the main problems is Sun Binary License. This license
> *allows* redistribution with our products, just it does not allow
> individual download.

Nor would we, the ASF, like to be a 'mirror' for non ASF code.

> So the problem is mainly for *new* developers, having more errors and
> steeper learning curve.

Bear in mind that if we -really- care about this; you could ask the board
to have a quiet word with SUN to see what we can negotiate. But given that
we -can- ship them for normal end users I guess there is not that much of
a win here.

Dw