www-community mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject RE: Ant PMC Issue (was: RE: [proposal] daedalus jar repository)
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:38:18 GMT
On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 11:02, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Since I am the one who asked why Ant and Maven aren't related projects under
> a PMC, you might was well yell at me for having the temerity to ask a rather
> obvious question.  But for all of your railing this morning, you never
> actually answered the question.

To expand, I think ultimately all that matters is that a project be
given the space it wants in an attempt to let it flourish. If the Maven
developers want to be left entirely alone why is that a concern?

If we compete head-on with Ant why is that a concern?

If we compete head-on with Centipede and it's satellite of related
projects what's the concern?

If we don't want to use Gump or talk to any of the Centipede so what?
Compete with us! You cannot force relationships between groups when the
desire to do so does not emanate in mutual proportion from both parties.

We don't want to grouped under the same PMC as Ant. How's that?

We want to go alone and I think we've done a pretty decent job so far.
If we falter and require, desire or ask for help later on than we can do
so. If we desire to collaborate or merge with other projects than we can
do so.

Give each project its own space and let the network of interaction form
of its own accord. If it is easy to shuffle PMCs and alliances then let
it occur when there is reason too.

All I and any of the Maven developers want to do is try to make it
better. But from day one I have had nothing but pressure from Sam Ruby.
Starting from him asking me to use a huge mess of an xslt transformed
gob of XML as the model for Maven to using Gump as tool of coercion to
force unnatural paths of evolutuion. I ignored the first request and I
continue to ignore gump because anything not taking the project into
primary consideration won't work.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com