www-community mailing list archives

From "David Reid" <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: Suggestion...
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:21:27 GMT
> > Perhaps, but I think we should make sure the "web page somewhere" part
> > doesn't get lost here.  Read or not, the email will get deleted or lost
> > along the way.  The web page provides a persistent location for this
> > information for new and old committers alike.
> >

> Anakia (jakarta-site2), or forrest, I think can use the same xdoc/source
> document to generate the web page and the email text, thus making a well
> managed source somewhere be the source of the *one time* mail and the
> reference web page.

See there we go again, retreating into our own little worlds :)

The sort of information you refer to should be simple and should just be
kept/updated/maintained once as it's essentially the same for every
committer. That's what this email and the proposal I sent to infrastructure
is meant to address. We need to stop thinking in terms of "this project has
this" and start thinking in terms of "why doesn't the asf have this". I know
it's a small change, but it's an important one if the community feelings we
want to grow are ever going to have a chance.

Also, we're taling about some simple stuff here, nothing that needs huge
amounts of technology to get it running. Last time I looked email was still
just simple, plain old text...

david