www-community mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: ASF Release Policy?
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:01:38 GMT
> > So ... finishing where I started: is there a uniform ASF policy on
> > this issue?  If so, what is it, and where is it documented?  :-)

> Not really.  We can try to hash out what we think the ideals should
> be.

Well, starting with first principles: should there be a uniform ASF release
policy?  Or, more likely, a uniform set of requirements that a project
release policy must fulfill?  If so, what are they?

I would expect the ASF to want to ensure that whatever release process is
used by a project, that it meets whatever legal requirements are present to
ensure proper oversight and indemnification.  As I understand it, the ASF
empowers an officer of the corporation, the PMC Chair, to act on behalf of
the corporation within the scope of that PMC.  The PMC Chair is the person
who legally binds the corporation.  The PMC Members and/or Committers may
vote, but the legally binding action is the act of the PMC Chair.

So, in part I'm not sure that this is really even the right place for the
discussion.  Perhaps the first thing, unless it has aleady been done, is for
the Board to identify if there are any legal requirements that must be met.
If so, those must be incorporated into any ASF release policy, uniform or
otherwise, and if not then we haven't a legal need for a uniform release
policy.

	--- Noel