www-community mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [poll] weblog package on apache.org ?
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:37:51 GMT
Henri Gomez wrote:
> Questions :
>
> - Did there is a need for a weblog package installed at apache.org
>   where commiters could put notes about THEIR ASF related works ?

I have no problem with PMCs having weblogs as part of their public
face.  I am concerned that this diverts attention from the code and the
cooperative work on that code.  I prefer that oversight of this remain
encapsulated with the PMC and that individual PMC make the decision if
they have the bandwidth to do that oversight.

I liked like to see some experimentation with PMC blogs where for
example all of some selected kind are allowed to post.  I think that
would be interesting to see how it works.  I'm concerned that if the
'selected kind' was a dozen people only one or two would post and that
would give the impression that those one or two had a unique voice in
that PMC.  That said I think it could be an interesting experiment.

I think it's premature for big leap of faith that blogs.apache.org or
some similar would make things function more smoothly.

> - Should we select a Java based solution (the request came from
>   jakarta-general initially), or anything else ?

Another good example of why this might be best left to the PMCs.

> - Which packages/products are good candidates, having licence
>   without apache members/commiters contestations ?

I'd very much prefer something with a compatible license.  Something I
we can all provide patches for.

  - ben