www-community mailing list archives

From dav...@dedasys.com (David N. Welton)
Subject Re: ASF use of Instant Messaging
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 01:23:31 GMT
Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org> writes:

> I see great benefits of IM; but I alse see threaths to the
> international community sense and to the accesibility of 'others'
> who are not part of the incrowd to the knowledge of the community.

Sure, but like Sam says so succinctly, it's not unlike people meeting
in real life (or working at the same company).  Point being that it
does, and will happen, so how to best ensure that it is productive,
and doesn't lead to the negative things you mention coming true?

*) No decisions.

*) If it's significant, report it back to the appropriate list.  You
   don't even have to say that it was IRC/whatever - "I got to talking
   with Foo, and we agreed that we are going to go with Tcl for all
   our projects."

*) Avoid talking about other people behind their backs, or other
   cliquish behaviors.  It's sometimes harder to stay 'professional'
   in a more informal environment, but I think it's important.  Think
   if you would say the same thing to someone's face.

As far as existing resources, I know that on irc.freenode.net, we have
#apache, #apr, and #tcl for those who are interested.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/