www-community mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@apache.org>
Subject Re: sponsoring of asf: fud or truth?
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 23:14:37 GMT
On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 01:06  PM, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:55:33AM -0500, Ben Hyde wrote:
>>> are accounting records available?
>>
>> I thought there were, I know we discussed having them be public in the
>> first year.  It maybe that some reason arose to keep them underwraps.
>> The short form though is they wouldn't help resolve this issue.  Most
>> of our needs are met by donations in kind of resources - particularly
>> the labor of the many kinds of community members.
>
> As a public charity, I believe they are required to be public. Roy
> would
> know the definitive answer (CC'd on this email).

Not exactly.  They are required to be available for IRS audit.  A member
of the public might be able to request a record, but that would be very
strange.  We've made a practice of recording them in the board meetings
unless the donor requests anonymity (nobody has so far).  The only
significant financial donation has been from Siemens AG (Germany),
with lesser amounts from ACM's software system award and Copyleft for
t-shirts.  The bulk of our funding (something like 70%) has come from
past ApacheCon conferences.

....Roy