www-community mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: sponsoring of asf: fud or truth?
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:46:24 GMT
Lars Eilebrecht wrote:

> According to Steven Noels:
>

>>  - http://www.netcrucible.com/blog/ ("The whole Apache project is
>>impressive in the spirit of the pre-bubble open-source projects, but
>>Apache's heavy dependence on BigCo funding (IBM, Sun, etc.) kind of
>>disqualifies them and spoils the romance.")
>

> Well, that's bullshit ...

Sure, never said I believed that.

> The ASF does not depend on 'BigCo' funding and never has been.
> Of course some of those companies have donated money, bandwith or hardware
> which is nothing unsual.
>
> The ASF is a membership-based foundation and only and individual can
> become a member. How can a company 'buy out' the ASF?

The membership is free for the elected few, still ASF has operational
costs (apart from kindly donated hardware & bandwidth). Conspiracy
theorists might use that as a basis for FUD, as much as I hate it. But
if I post a rebutal, I'd rather want it backed by facts than some
interpretation.

>>I was wondering what might be true (or FUD) about this BigCo funding. Or
>>even worse: are accounting records available? Of course, one might
>>wonder whether such details should be made available to non-members.
>

> IMHO accounting records can't be made available, due to legal reasons (?),

... seems a boilerplate sentence these days... Can't parse this:
companies have to be quite public with their accounting books, whereas
an open source foundation can't be for legal reasons? IMHO of course,
and I might have been reading too much cluetrain lately ;)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org