www-community mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: sponsoring of asf: fud or truth?
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:31:22 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> I was wondering what might be true (or FUD) about this BigCo funding. Or
> even worse: are accounting records available? Of course, one might
> wonder whether such details should be made available to non-members.
> OTOH, I don't like seeing such statements when you know, from the
> inside, than Sun nor IBM have 'bought out' ASF.

It all boils down to committer sponsoring.  There is no hard cash to
speak of.

Even ASF members will on occasion try to characterize somebody's
involvement in an ASF project based on who pays their mortgage, and I
have never seen anything remotely accurate come out of that.

The only story to communicate is that we come to the ASF as individuals,
not as representatives of a corporation, and what we do is based on the
merit of our proposals and the quality of our implementations, not on
who buys the coffee.