www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ApacheWiki RSS feed moved into apachewiki.cgi
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 19:48:26 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>I am interested in content quality.  I would probably subscribe
>>to the 'wiki-changes' list, since that would push the content under
>>my nose instead of having me actively reading each changed page online.
>

> Right, that has been my point about push model communication.  But do you
> really want to have every change pushed into your mail box (this is actually
> easy to do with usemodwiki), or just those pages that interest you?
>
> Every few days I check to see the RecentChanges list, but I primarly skim it
> looking to see if pages related to projects I care about have changed.  If
> the Wiki gets lots of use, reading all changes would be like subscribing to
> every CVS change made in every module all over Apache.  At that point the
> perceived signal to noise ratio for most people would be rather low, IMO.
>
> It seems that Andy feels that an RSS feed is the solution to this problem.

its a step.  A simple XSLT page could say "all nodes with POI in the
content" and that would be solved for me.  Granted, I prefer late
refactoring.  Who knows, everyone could loose interest in the wiki
tomorrow, what a waste of time adding a bunch of features would be.  If
the wiki never gets that active, same thing.  It is not currently that
active.  Therefore the refactoring is not yet required.

-Andy