www-community mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Cocoon Wiki
Date Wed, 01 Jan 2003 10:21:55 GMT
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> Do note that I don't mind other forms of wiki.  I picked this one
> arbitrarily.  I picked it because Andy Hunt runs it on his site
> (http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/cgi-local/pragprog?HomePage)

Hey, any reason will do. You proposed, you installed, so you get to
choose. Technology discussions are boring :)

The 'lucky thing' with the Cocoon Wiki was Leigh Dodds jumping in and
adding heaps of high quality content he already created in his private
Wiki only _minutes_ after me setting up the JSPWiki instance. I'm pretty
lucky actually that JSPWiki can take the load, since I didn't thoroughly
tested it before choosing it :)

<snip/>

> If folks feel like they want to install and volunteer to maintain
> another wiki, and they're sure its secure, can be feasibly set up with
> meager resource requirements
> (no idea what nagoya is but Steven has a pretty fat server behind
> cocoondev and its running Linux and not FreeBSD which is a BIG plus for
> Java), then I'm
> not intending to get in the way.... You just need to be sure you know
> the answers:

<blush/> cocoondev.org, i.e. all of http://cocoondev.org/sites.html is
running on an single CPU Intel P4 2GHz, 1 Gig RAM, 80Gig HD, which is
_much_ lower-grade than nagoya IIUC.
<snip/>

> <veryserious>
> Those are higher priority than Cool Feature X....
> </veryserious>

Totally agree. For the specific context where the Cocoon Wiki lives in,
I can only say it hasn't let me down so far - which doesn't guarantee
anything w.r.t. scalability however.

The good thing about all this, is that I went to the Apache Wiki little
time after it was installed, and saw somebody already had been kind
enough to reference the 'real' _Cocoon_ Wiki at
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?CocoonProjectPages

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org