www-community mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF Release Policy?
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:04:39 GMT
--On Tuesday, January 28, 2003 3:52 PM -0500 "Noel J. Bergman"
<noel@devtech.com> wrote:

> Is there a uniform release policy for the ASF?  For example, here
> are two documents:

AFAIK, there isn't a uniform policy.

>   http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html
>
> "Technically, any one can make a release of the source code due to
> the Apache Software License. However, only members of the Apache
> HTTP Server Project (committers) to project can make a release
> designated with Apache."
>
> The primary control has to do with the release "quality":
>
>   alpha: "When a release is initially created, it automatically
> becomes alpha quality."
>    beta: "at least three committers have voted positively for beta
> status and there were
>           more positive than negative votes for beta designation."
>      GA: "at least three committers have voted positively for GA
> status and that there
>          "were more positive than negative votes for GA
> designation."

Yeah, but that is really specific to httpd rather than HTTP Server.
And, since we've gone to a stable/unstable branch model, we don't use
this designation on stable branch anymore.  Unstable would still
follow these guidelines, I guess.

> No mention of PMC involvement, for example.  On the other hand,

Well, remember, in HTTP Server, we have a policy where *almost* every
committer is a member of the PMC.  By the time someone is doing a
release, they're *usually* a PMC member.  It's pretty hard to trip
over someone in dev@httpd who isn't a PMCer.  So, the chances of a
release happening without the PMC being aware of it and voting on it
is about zero.

> Which is interesting, since most people apparently aren't aware
> that Jakarta sub-projects are supposed to get Jakarta PMC approval
> before distributing a Release.

My guess is this policy isn't enforced.  I'm sure that Sam will
pounce on me if I'm wrong.

> The XML Project has the same text as Jakarta, minus the sentence
> about the PMC requirement.  I have no idea what other projects
> require.

Probably XML's guidelines are closer to reality than Jakarta's.  =)

> So ... finishing where I started: is there a uniform ASF policy on
> this issue?  If so, what is it, and where is it documented?  :-)

Not really.  We can try to hash out what we think the ideals should
be.  -- justin