www-community mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Wiki - we have a problem :)
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:41:17 GMT

Folks,

I am seeing this weeking discussion reaching conclusions of sorts. However
there is still a significant problem with oversight.

What I mean here is -not- the ASF cultural thing of having things
validated by your peers; but the oversight of the type that the ASF as a
US incorperated is supposed to maintain.

In this role's I am not as much concerned with pages going up which say
'Thou venomed swag-bellied skainsmate!' or other types of respect lacking
community interaction; but specificaly of the type which gets us in
real-live(tm) trouble; warez, child-porn, list of license keys, etc.

So unless I hear this group establishing some very clear policy with
respect to WiKi's I will propose to the board that they go and instruct
the infrastructure@ folsk as follows:

->	No Wiki(s) will be ran under ASF auspicien unless there

	-> is a PMC or similar body who duly provides oversight
	   to any abuse.

	-> and the infrastructure@ pmc has validated that whatever
	   access control, metrics and what not are appropriate and
	   that each resource can clearly have an 'owner'.

Note that I did not add things such as acceptable use policies or
charters. I leave that to the PMC.

Though I personally would certainly encourage PMC's wanting a PMC to think
about that; as 'scope' helps to foster quality discussion. Though simply
saying that use should be on topic or in line with the mission/goal (which
usually is firmly embedded in the resolution which created the PMC in the
first place) helps.

Note that this is what is effectively happening on the push based mailing
list; moderation, warning being send to pwersons going off topic and other
non appropriate postings, and a community sense of 'scope'.

I'd appreciate feedback to solve the 'NOW' problem (not getting sued by
the scientology church or abetting (US) crime) - and to help me ask the
board for the right thing. We can solve the 'real' issue later.

Dw