www-community mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: ASF use of Instant Messaging
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2003 22:43:35 GMT

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Daniel Rall wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
> > 1) People should not be any more upset about the use of IRC than they
> > should if two committers on a project happen to bump into each other at
> > an ApacheCon and take the opportunity to discuss a problem that they are
> > working on.
> >
> > 2) This being said, no *DECISIONS* should be made on behalf of projects
> > in this manner.  In particular, VOTES should be on mailing list unless
> > there is consensus by all the participants otherwise.
>
> As usual, Sam gets to the heart of the issue.  +1

I am not too sure this is quite enough; i.e. it would be a shame if a lot
of architectual or even question-and-answer types of discussions would be
held among a smaller group due to time-zone and connectivity contraints. I
am fairly sure that the 'over inclusinveness' and a-syncroneousness of
mail plays an important role in our community process; and though I very
much -welcome- this extra 'on the streat' type of information exchange and
higher welcome discussion; I do want to see it -adding- to our comminity.

Dw