www-community mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF use of Instant Messaging
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 06:44:37 GMT

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Are there any policies regarding IRC use, and is there an infrastructure
> participation in setting on an IRC channel for a project, or do we just go
> do something?  Several ASF projects use IRC, including tomcat, mod_perl,
> Struts, Jelly, and others.  It appears that at least those hosted by Werken
> maintain IRC archives to supplement the mail archives (I suspect that all
> do).

Someone who frequents the Struts IRC channel posted a message to the
struts-dev mailing list not so long ago, asking if some of the Struts
committers might consider participating there. There were no positive
perspectives:

1) The struts-user mailing list is a large, established community, with
multiple archives available. Many of the questions asked on this list have
been asked before, and the answers are available in the archives. Many of
those that have not been asked before result in the solutions being added
to the existing archives for future users to find. Adding an IRC channel
could easily fragment the user base, and therefore the community, and
would almost certainly decrease the value of a single question being
responded to in a single place, on the mailing list (or on IRC, for that
matter).

2) Struts has committers in Europe, the USA, and Australia. The use of IRC
discriminates against those who are not "up and about" and connected at
the time a particular discussion is ongoing. It is highly unlikely that
all of the Struts committers would be available to discuss issues at the
same time.

--
Martin Cooper