www-community mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: fyi wiki statistics
Date Tue, 07 Jan 2003 22:59:44 GMT
On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 05:08:19PM -0500, James Taylor wrote:
> > You are stating that:
> >
> >   0) download a working copy [this is done only once]
> >   1) go to a page
> >   2) edit it
> >   3) save it
> >   4) commit the page
> >
> > is comparably simple with

Feh. I said no such thing. I said that if you wanted to do multiple page
edits without spamming the change-notification mailing list, then SubWiki
makes it possible [by following the steps you suggest].

In no way did I say it was "comparably simple" to standard Wiki editing. Of
course not... jeez, just how small do you think my brain is? :-)

> >   1) go to a page
> >   2) edit it
> >   3) save it
> >
> > and I disagree.
>
> If it means I can edit the page in my fancy editor of choice rather than
> a dumb web browser then it is much simpler.

And standard tools and standard commit emails and standard access control
and all kinds of other stuff.

> > The (only?) beauty of a wiki is its dead-simple editing cycle.
>
> I believe sub wiki also has a TTW editing interface. No reason you can't
> have both. Because it uses subversion to hold pages, the interface is
> nicely seperated from the data store.

Yes. You definitely cna edit pages via the web site. That *is* what a Wiki
is all about. Not the stupid formatting rules.

    http://test.webdav.org/wiki/Welcome

And "both" is actually incorrect. You have four ways to view the content and
three ways to edit the content:

  1) read/write via the Wiki itself
  2) read/write via working copies
  3) read/write via WebDAV (new from sussman and jerenkrantz)
  4) read via web browser

> Sure, it is not ready for primetime, but I like the idea a lot.

The code is ready, but I don't have all the "standard" formatting rules and
macros in there right now. There are a number of things that people expect
which just aren't in there.

Cheers,
-g

--