www-community mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [proposal] creation of communitity.apache.org
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 07:39:26 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:
> The ASF has supportted .forward files for e-mail for quite some time.
> Would the mere act of putting a one line .forward file into your
> ~/public_html directory with your favorite URL be OK?

A bit more work for httpd than your "~name/public_html/community or some
such" proposal, but combined with your suggested merger of
http://www.apache.org/~jim/committers.html and ~coar/people.html, it would
appear to address most objections I noted on the thread.  One that it
doesn't address is Ben Hyde's view that that the chaotic "mess", where there
are committers who don't even know that they can create a public_html, much
less feel encouraged to do so, is different from a seeming endorsement of
community pages.

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> My personal experience shows that promoting personal context helps
> creating more friendly communities.

Do you believe that someone's first thought would be to look at some
centralized index, or at the project's home page?  What if the contributors
list on each project were similarly (and optionally) instrumented as
proposed by Sam Ruby's suggestion (above)?

Or is that an infrastructure question, along with IM and Wiki topics?

	--- Noel