www-community mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] creation of communitity.apache.org
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 23:01:13 GMT
I've attempted to enumerate some of my concerns about a suite of
community pages.  I gather that people see benefit in such pages.  I
want to be clear that I'm note deaf to those arguments, just
unconvinced of those benefits.

On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 04:39 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> This proposal is exactly about 'puzzling out how to do that
> productively in cooperative volunteer teams'.

That's a hypothesis.  I don't particularly buy into it.  I'm one of
those people who considers the term "company party" a bit of an
oxymoron.

The world is full of people I don't particularly want to be closer too,
but with whom I'm happy to work closely.  I like the urban rather than
the small town model of what makes a vibrant community.

> The ASF is currently fragmented. Allow me to say "balkanized".

The fragmentation that concerns me is around only a few things.  I
don't feel that getting to know all the folks in all the projects is
one them.

> I see this as a problem. I want to 'puzzle out' how to solve this
> problem and I think that giving more personal context will help out.

Possibly, possibly not.  I've found it fascinating how not knowing
personal details seems to have enabled a focus on the task rather than
the peripheral.   My contributions to these projects is independent of
my age, my job, my achievements, my screw ups, my degree.

> This is my personal experience. You might disagree. But try to
> remember if knowing apache group members in person helped the creation
> of the httpd community.

I was _very late_ to the party, but my impression is that in the
majority of cases only a handful knew each other outside the work until
the decision was taken to consider forming the foundation.  I've still
not met the majority of the HTTPD PMC, nor do I know their age, their
past, their hobbies, etc. etc.

Note that if you form loyalties based on other attributes, say a common
love of ballroom dancing, then when it comes time to argue out a tough
decision about memory management you might just dodge the hard work to
maintain that relationship.

  - ben