www-community mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [ot] domain registrars
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:00:14 GMT
I've been happy with http://www.gkg.net/ who is a registrar, i.e. not
intermediated by Tucows or one of the others intermediaries.

I used to be an expert on this mess, two years ago, maybe the rules
have changed... but at that time:  Transferring registrations is like
changing brokers or phone companies; the "winning" registrar just pulls
your account from the "loosing" registrar.  That operation is free, but
when the account moves you need to purchase registration one more time
- you will loose the any outstanding time on your existing registration.

The winning registrar is scared they will pull a domain that you don't
own; so they establish some little ritual to attempt to authenticate
you.  People have settled into asking you to fax your driver's license.

You should not need to interact with the loosing registrar at all.  It
is very hard for them to prevent the transfer.  That said some loosing
registrars will send an email to assert that you have requested the
transfer and there is no reason not to respond.

For the low price registrars they manage to get only 10-15% of the
money you pay, most of it goes thru to registry.   But then they don't
do much more than run a web UI to the registry's APIs.

  - ben