www-community mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: "as well as the critical notion of imagined community"... :-)
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 19:26:01 GMT

On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 01:46 PM, Steven Noels wrote:

> http://www.brandingkorea.com/data/board/TBBKD_SL/upload/
> brand_community.pdf or
> http://216.239.53.100/
> search?q=cache:Nz0oNDvblCYC:www.brandingkorea.com/data/board/TBBKD_SL/
> upload/
> brand_community.pdf+%22refers+to+as+consciousness+of+kind%22&hl=en&ie=U
> TF-8 if you want to read more.

Oh excellent, my copy came from a gated community.  I asked one of the
authors if I could pass along a copy.  He just provided me with this
quicker link:

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/journal/issues/v27n4/270402/
270402.web.pdf

Every time somebody uses the work community, religion, relationship it
makes my teeth hurt; so I was surprised to find something that pleased
me to read.
That paper references a lot of obviously hard won models of what
community is, so now I'm going to have to go read a mess of stuff.

I find it's amazingly rare to find anything about community that isn't
moronic, simplistic, or romantic.  Or worse argues that community is
just another victim of modern life.  I think quite the contrary that
the net is a typhoon of community building.

  - ben