www-community mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] creation of communitity.apache.org
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 08:16:26 GMT

On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 01:39  PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>> Our mission.  Creating great software.  Puzzling out how to do that
>>> productively in cooperative volunteer teams.  Releasing that widely
>>> under a license that is both open.  Crafting an effective open
>>> license.
>>> One that doesn't entrap folks.
>
> This proposal is exactly about 'puzzling out how to do that
> productively in cooperative volunteer teams'.

That's what mailing lists are for. :)

> The ASF is currently fragmented. Allow me to say "balkanized". I see
> this as a problem. I want to 'puzzle out' how to solve this problem
> and I think that giving more personal context will help out.
>
> This is my personal experience. You might disagree. But try to
> remember if knowing apache group members in person helped the creation
> of the httpd community.

As I recall, the Apache Group didn't all meet until shortly before
the ASF (the corporation) was formed. The group had already been
functioning very well for quite some time before the corporation
was formed.

> Sure I'd love to organize gettogethers every week, but we don't have
> the resources for that.

I believe the success of open source software depends heavily upon
the fact that the internet provides a medium of communication that
does _not_ require face-to-face meetings.

-aaron