www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wiki RSS
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2002 20:40:11 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Monday, December 30, 2002 16:56:04 -0500 "Andrew C. Oliver"
> <acoliver@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> this over.   The point being, this technology will allow passive
>> notification based on topic selection in a way not found on mail lists.
>> And of course the sources to the wiki
>

> I'd much prefer mailing list notifications over RSS feeds.  These types
> of notifications shouldn't be pull.  Push-based notifications suit this
> problem domain far better than pull-based approaches.  It also allows
> archiving of the changes.  (We can recreate our entire CVS archive in
> the event of a castrophic failure just from the complete CVS commit
> archives.)

I agree with Justin, expecially because while email is a generally used
tool around the ASF, weblog and related technologies are not as common.

Also, I think that 'page-based' RSS it way too granular.

> it send unified diff's in the style of our CVS mailer.  -- justin

If I had to choose I'd rather prefer to send the udiffs to the various
mail lists that control their areas.

Think about having cvs@apache.org with *all* CVS commits going thru, I
don't think that anybody would stand such a low signal/noise ratio and I
fear this might be happening here if the wiki takes off.

In short, while a single-page RSS is too specific, a wiki-wide diff mail
list is way to general.

My personal suggestion would be to find a way to partition the wiki
pages per project and send those diffs to the various project mail lists.

But I have no idea on how difficult/feasible that is with the current
software.