www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Wiki RSS was Re: Wiki, WAS: RE: Public mail, Wiki
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:56:04 GMT
I'm moving this discussion over to community as I think discussing this
further on "members@" unnecessarily excludes the rest of the Apache
community.

> It doesn't have to be a one-person job, just like CVS commits
> oversight is parallelized by sending email on the mail list. What if
> Wiki commits were sent to the project-docs mail list? It might be a
> second step, a step that will provide oversight.

One more note.  I've got a beta test version of the wiki here:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewikitest.cgi  (its working against
the same data dir as the regular wiki so just note that edits are real).
 I didn't enable wiki -> Mail list notification because I was being
conservative (WHICH mail list, and if several that might constitute a
security issue...etc etc)...   however this beta version will give an
RSS page for any topic by simply prepending "action=rss" to the query
string.  For example:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewikitest.cgi?RecentChanges&action=rss
would give an RSS page representing the "recent changes" page.

It doesn't yet work because it requires XML:RSS which I do not have
access to install on nagoya.  I requested it be installed via
infrastructure@apache.org so hopefully in a few days I'll be able to
move this over.

The point being, this technology will allow passive notification based
on topic selection in a way not found on mail lists.  And of course the
sources to the wiki
(http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheWiki) are clearly
posted so anyone can patch it and enhance this capability and I'll
gladly verify and apply the patches (I hate PERL and use it every day,
while I don't claim to be an accomplished PERL guy I can verify and
apply patches to perl code decently)..

This will enable subscribe and collaborate behavior and facilitate
emergence in what I think will be a very interesting and important way.

Of course those blogging freaks will probably pick it up with their
aggregators, but I thinks thats an acceptable risk.

Thanks,

Andy