www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wiki Wiki (has been set up)
Date Sat, 21 Dec 2002 21:36:10 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Andrew,
>
>Hallalujah!  I have been asking about a Wiki on and off for months, and was
>told as recently as a week ago that there were security reasons for not yet
>having one.  Kudos for just getting this done!

I have security tested this wiki and its been running in multiple
installations on my server.  Besides this, it isn't any more dangerous
or priviledged than bugzilla. (and less so probably because bugzilla is
names such not because of its function but because it is a giant bug
with bug reporting features)...

>I am not familar with the code of this particular Wiki engine.  What would
>it take to attach an optional mailing list attribute to a page so that when
>the page is edited, a notice can be driven to the mailing list?  Or so that
>a daily/weekly report could be generated containing that info?

I do not know.  http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheWiki
lists everything I know.  However there is this:
"
$UseEmailNotify = 0;       # 1 = allow email notification,     0 = don't
$NotifyDefault  = 0;       # Default for email notify checkbox on Edit page.
$EmailFrom      = "Wiki";  # Text for "From: " field of email notes.
                           # (But Reply-to; is set to same as To: anyway.)
$SendMail       = "/usr/sbin/sendmail"; # Full path to sendmail executable
"
configuration information in "config".  If you wish to research it and
supply a patch please look here:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheWiki and follow the
instructions.

>The primary communication mechanism is the push-model mailing list.  A Wiki
>is basically pull-model.  I'd like to see push-model notification integrated
>into the Wiki, which is something I am considering adding to vqWiki when
>I've some time.

Cool supply a patch and I shall apply it with due haste.

Thanks,

-Andy