www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF Member/Committer AUP
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 00:57:22 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>I've been working on this for those "windows users":
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/site/idedevelopers.html

Thanks for the feedback!

>Looks good so far.  The sections on Ant and CVS apply to non-Windows users,
>as well.  And you might want to include Maven/Jelly in the section on
>bulding, which currently has only Ant.

I've invited Mavenites to contribute, I've not recieved anything.  Since
I do not use Maven, I feel unqualified to
write that section.  I'll probably add one on Centipede and wait for the
"enthusiastic" response that I'm sure will
follow when I mention it and not the other.  Since most projects still
use Ant, I covered it first.  In my opinion everyone
needs to learn ant before they move on to the ant-based-tools.  (Those
help you later)...

>Other topics for your list: What is GUMP (just an example, I know what it
>is)?

Yes links to GUMP (http://jakarta.apache.org/gump) is a good idea.
 Though I hear its not very good (J/K) ;-)

>The use of logged IRC channels for ASF projects (that appears to be
>done on some projects -- is it generally available?).  What are each of the
>"internal" mailing lists, and what topics are they intended to host?  I've
>heard of some that don't appear to be linked from any page that I've noticed
>(probably one for thie discussion, for example :-)).

No they are linked quite clearly from the page that says "mailing lists"
(http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail.html).
however one must read the guidelines to get to the "click here" (or just
have a keen eye ;-) )...  Noting the location
in the text is probably a good thing to do.  I'll do that.

>In general, I'd want a document that explained the existing policies,
>mechanisms, and best practices, including where to go for more detail.

That is for another page.. . Its pretty clear here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/guidelines.html

My goal is to explain what things are and how to use them  Jon & others
have explained policy pretty well in my
opinion.  However, I've been informed that all of my opinions are ill
informed...  Including that one. ;-)

-Andy