www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] creation of communitity.apache.org
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 23:17:02 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> --On Sunday, December 1, 2002 8:25 PM -0500 "Andrew C. Oliver"
> <acoliver@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> So Sam Ruby is the ECMA conveiner for the .NET CLI..  I propose
>> (since its well known) that he's an apache committer and the PMC
>> chair of Jakarta that he be told he can't do that anymore.
>

> Ugh!  No, you are missing the point here.
>
> Sam can do whatever he wants to do as "Sam Ruby."  I'm not going to
> tell Sam what to do *ever*.  But, I feel that if he decides to rant
> about ECMA or .NET or IBM or Sun or the price of pigs in Beirut, then
> he shouldn't do that within the forum of the ASF unless the foundation
> is willing to legally stand behind his views.
>
> The foundation is responsible for everything on our servers.  I don't
> care for it to be associated with *personal* views.  Go find a
> different soapbox to stand on top of.  Your contributions to the ASF
> don't merit you getting a personal bully pulpit.  -- justin

Return my comments to the context they were in.  I was responding to this:

> about what happens when you make a comment about another company (read,
> partner) in your private space -- if it's possible to trace that you
> are an
> apache guy, even if it's obscure, then that is bad.

I can see this is a very emotional issue for you, however I request the
courtesy of not
taking me out of context and making it into the issue as a whole.

I cannot believe a DNS entry could be so controversial.  Personally I
don't believe the
proposal should have been here, it should have been on "infrastructure"
and those whom
are "committers" to infrastructure should have voted.  If someone had a
serious need to wield
influence then they'd need to contribute to the infrastructure.
 However, that's my PERSONAL
soapbox...

Thanks,

-Andy