www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] creation of communitity.apache.org
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 21:49:26 GMT
Sander Striker wrote:
> [...]

Yes, that's exactly the intention.

> "people".apache.org or "community".apache.org will imply that such a domain
> entails all the people of the ASF or the entire community of the ASF.

It's damn easy to create a list of all committers and provide links only
for those who happen to have their ASF homepage available. That solves
'in/out' problems.

> This
> simply can never be true since not everyone has time to create and maintain
> a 'community' area in his homepage area.

It's up to you to partecipate in this, but I don't see why the fact that
you don't have time should limit others in their ability to be more
community friendly.

> Some of us barely have spare time
> and are likely to contribute to their projects rather than maintain their
> 'community' area.

Fair, then don't do so.

> So, in the end, only the people with lots of time on
> their hands, or simply the most vocal ones, will (likely) be perceived (by
> visitors of community.apache.org) to _be_ the ASF, instead of a few faces
> within the ASF.

pfff, if I lack the time to partecipate in a mail list discussion should
I propose to shut the mail list off until I have enough time?

> I'm moving my -0 to a -1 on this basis.  It would be something else if
> community.apache.org were only accessible by committers...

Sander: since the ASF was created, this page

http://www.apache.org/foundation/members.html

contains the list of all members and not all of them have the
time/will/energy/whatever to maintain an ASF-related homepage (I'm one
of them, BTW).

Nobody ever said that those linked ones receive more attention than the
others. I hope you are not implying this.

I agree with you that ASF 'visibility' should not be a function of
whether or not you have a homepage setup.

So, just like you don't stop discussions if you don't have time, but you
still receive messages, I would suggest that we list *all* committers,
but then we link only those who do have an ASF-related homepage setup.

Does that remove your fears?