www-community mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] creation of communitity.apache.org
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 21:28:09 GMT

>I think you're missing the point here.  Regardless of the verbiage
>used, if this whole community thing comes to fruition, it becomes a de
>facto representation of the face of the Apache community.
>
>FWIW, I'm -1 on the whole thing.  I'm here to help grow a community
>around open-source software, not around a bunch of touchy-feely
>self-promoting web pages--if I want that, I'll join some weblog site
>somewhere.  Apache.org is not the place for this.

Wow.. I really do feel like I'm at the Congress of Vienna.  People think
I'm the one who is too negative!

I work on Apache stuff in part because I like having my mind opened by
really smart developers who oddly enough "self select".  I can code
anywhere.

If you'll look the home pages haven't become that at all.  They're all
short little bios or "here is where you can find my homepage" type
stuff.  Some are "here's things I'm working on and here's my proposed
solution to this and that"..

I'm interested in having a place where I can quickly look up the basics
of the guy who walks up to me at an ApacheCon or JUG meeting or
something and says "I'm so and so" .. .  I sneak off and say "oh yeah
that guy"...  I'm interested in knowing more about the men (and women,
but lets face it there just ain' that many) behind the email addresses,
bringing that personal touch to the community.  For me that personal
touch errodes the antipathy that seems to be coming from the "other side
of the isle"..

I'm interested in bringing others closer to the community whom currently
do regard it as some kind of "star chamber". .(I'd say thats the
prevalent view)  I notice a lot of folks share these views, but I can
tell there is a whole other side whom hold the exact opposite opinion.

It keeps coming back down to this:
open  (we sit on the left)
closed  (you sit on the right)

and it really keeps being that simple.

I hear from the other side "lets make sure we silence these voices
before they get too loud" and I guess I tend to think "if they get too
loud I'll ignore them"..  In fact the web pages are awesome for this
because I don't even have to filter...Just don't go to them if they
offend your sensibilities.

But I keep hearing "we don't want to talk, but you shut up too" and that
is just....depressing.

-Andy