www-community mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] creation of communitity.apache.org
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:26:53 GMT
--On Monday, December 2, 2002 8:39 AM +0100 Nicola Ken Barozzi
<nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:

> I don't think we are talking about complete personal websites with
> blogs and such, with rants and honeymoon pictures, but about some
> pages that explain what the person does, who he is, and not much
> more.

Of course we are.  We're saying that anyone can post whatever they
want on their apache.org site.  That's what I'm against.  I don't
want people posting their honeymoon pictures or their Beanie Babies
collection.  But, as soon as we say, 'you can post whatever you
want,' that's what is going to happen.  Saying otherwise is foolish.

Unfortunately, Roy's site is sort of an example of what I don't want
to see.  However, what I believe Sam hasn't realized is that Roy
*just* moved his site there from the UCI servers while he looks for a
new home for his web site.  (Roy will correct me if I'm wrong.)  I
trust Roy not to post anything inappropriate, so I'm not going to
complain because I believe it's temporary.  Yet, not every committer
has earned my trust in the way Roy has.

And, what Andy is missing is that with a DNS alias, there would now
be an implicit approval of these sites.  Furthermore, there would be
a directory of people who have sites publically linked.  Right now,
there is no such approval or directory.

There are good uses and bad uses, but the bad use is going to be
promoted as soon as we create a community.apache.org vhost.

> Every time a committer comes in the communities I'm in, he
> describes himself to the list. I just put that up on my page.
>
> What's the problem?

Not everyone who joins a list will be a committer!  You're going to
be creating a 'star stage' if everyone trades URLs and yours happens
to be hosted on the apache.org site while the newbies won't have that
benefit.  What makes you different?  Nothing should.  -- justin