www-community mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] creation of communitity.apache.org
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2002 04:23:35 GMT
--On Sunday, December 1, 2002 7:23 PM -0800 Stefano Mazzocchi
<stefano@apache.org> wrote:

> There are 450 people with commit access. Each one of them can put
> something in our servers that can screw the ASF, including web
> sites.
>
> Why is this any different?

Because of community oversight.  There are no mechanisms within the
ASF that allow an individual any degree of freedom without some
degree of oversight and mandated collaboration.  For example, no
release can be made without three committers approving it.  For
example, all CVS commit message end up at some mailing list where the
interested participants review them.  For better or worse, all of our
processes are designed to limit the ability of a single person to
corrupt the ASF or its projects.

That's the benefit of the ASF - this isn't SourceForge where a person
can do something on their own.  IMHO, that is why Sam's allusion to
the JSPA index left out a key point - within hours, the community had
enforced oversight and removed that item from the front page (Ted
moved it to the 'news' page).  Furthermore, a discussion ensued in
the appropriate forums as what to do next.  Eventually, an 'official'
position on the JSPA was reached and posted on the website.  The
community oversight process worked beautifully.

Yet, a personal web site is just that - personal.  It's purposely not
part of the ASF community.  There's no oversight.  Therefore, I
question what benefit can be gained by endorsing personal web sites
hosted on the ASF infrastructure.  -- justin

P.S. There are about 590 people with commit right now!