www-community mailing list archives

From "Victor J. Orlikowski" <...@dulug.duke.edu>
Subject Re: [proposal] creation of communitity.apache.org
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 22:32:54 GMT
On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 03:13:26PM -0600, B. W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
<snip>
> I think you're missing the point here.  Regardless of the verbiage
> used, if this whole community thing comes to fruition, it becomes a de
> facto representation of the face of the Apache community.

Indeed - all projects within Apache represent Apache, regardless
of the disclaimer and hand-waving you tack onto it. As lawyers
often say, you can't unring a bell - once someone looks at a
webpage, that will be part of that person's impression of Apache.

> FWIW, I'm -1 on the whole thing.  I'm here to help grow a community
> around open-source software, not around a bunch of touchy-feely
> self-promoting web pages--if I want that, I'll join some weblog site
> somewhere.  Apache.org is not the place for this.

Amen.

If I want to get to know someone, I'll do it the old-fashioned way
- I'll strike up a conversation, regardless of the means (e-mail,
irc, what-have-you). If one lacks the conversational skills to do
this - well, that's a personal problem.

Apache is about two things, as I see it: primarily, software and,
as a consequence of that software, people.

Apache would not exist without software; however, software does
not exist without people. We (the people) gather together within
the construct of the ASF to *write software*. Getting to know the
actors within the process is nice, and necessary to maintain the
smooth operation of the process.

I say, if people want to put up webpages to toot their horn about
what they're interested in, or to ensure that others can have
ready conversation topics when ambushing the person, or for
self-aggrandizement, fine.

But Apache is not the place for it.

(And, if it is not clear by now, I'm -1 on the whole shmooze.)

Victor
--
Victor J. Orlikowski   | The Wall is Down, But the Threat Remains!
orlikowski@apache.org  | vjo@dulug.duke.edu | vjo@us.ibm.com