www-community mailing list archives

From "David Reid" <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: [proposal] creation of communitity.apache.org
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 23:38:00 GMT
> it looks like several issues are getting conflated again.

<sarcasm ON>Big suprise.</sarcasm off>

> 1. should people be permitted to have/publish *.apache.org/~name pages?
> 2. should they follow any sort of guidelines?
> 3. should there be a list of them?
> 4. should a list be mandatory or opt-in only?
> 5. is it an all-or-nothing proposition (everyone has them or no-one does)?
>
> here's my personal take on these questions:
>
> 1. should people be permitted to have/publish *.apache.org/~name pages?
>
> +1

They've traditionally been used for patches and so with seemed like a good
use. For personal information I'm inclined to disagree that it's a valid or
even desirable use.

> 2. should they follow any sort of guidelines?
>
> -0 (+1 if it's no more than 'don't put anything here that might reflect
> poorly on the asf')

And who gets to decide? Jesus - not another council. I mean what would we
call it? In the vain of this entire community stuff we'd need to setup a
mailing list straight away to discuss the name alone - and then the problems
of who shoudl be told... Could take a long time.

Ken - did you think that last bit through to it's logical conslusion?

> 3. should there be a list of them?
>
> +1.  data-driven, either through something in peoples'
cvs.apache.org/~name/
> directory, like the one-off '.nopublish' i mentioned earlier, or a
~/.homepage
> like sam (?) suggested, or whatever.
>
> 4. should a list be mandatory or opt-in only?
>
> opt-in, of course.
>
> 5. is it an all-or-nothing proposition (everyone has them or no-one does)?
>
> -1.  someone tries to force its opinion on me about how i may choose to
> express myself and describe my participation in the asf, i tell it to sod
> off in no uncertain terms.  if someone doesn't like it, then it should
> a) not do it, and b) not look at others.  but don't obstruct people who
> think the idea has value, particularly since it won't affect *you* in any
way.
> (generic 'you' there, not anyone in mind at all.)

Rhetorical questions :
Have we all gone mad?
Does anyone feel this sort of lengthy discussion is really a good use of
their time? Does it help to foster a greater feeling of community (the
definition of which could be another topic that would spawn a lot of
worthless messages no doubt)?

david