www-community mailing list archives

From Henri Gomez <hgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rules for Revolutionaries
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 07:26:24 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 04:05:24AM +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>I still disagree. The rules of revolutionaries *MUST* (I repeat *MUST*!!!)
>>protect the identity of the project more than they protect the freedom of
>>innovation of the single developers.
>>
>>More than anything else, the fact that two different codebases were *released*
>>with the same name at the same time, pissed many people off (myself included)
>>and created a lot of problems in the users.
>

> Like?  How many users do you see complaining because they have a choice?
>
> Personally, I find Tomcat 4's startup time is too slow for Forrest/Cocoon
> development, so if it wasn't for 3.3.x, I'd be using Resin or Jetty.

You could speed up TC 4 startup time by :

1) comments mbeans support in top of server.xml :

<!--

   <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener"
             debug="0"/>
   <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"
             debug="0"/>

-->

2) Remove the admin and manager webapps which also take some time
    to initialize.

Regards.